Greendale Public Library

How Do I...?

Frequently asked questions and answers:

How do I get a Library card?

Any Milwaukee County resident of any age can get a Library card when they are able to write their first and last name on the card. Applicants must provide two forms of ID. Click here for a list of acceptable IDs.
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, with proper identification, in order to receive a Library card. 

Apply at your Library today, or start the application process online by clicking here

How long may I keep Library materials?

Most of the Library’s materials circulate for three weeks. DVDs and magazines circulate for seven days. 

Can you notify me prior to my items becoming overdue?

Yes! If you have an email address and would like to be notified that you have items that will be coming due, items that are overdue, or to receive an alert when holds arrive, just give your email address to the Circulation staff next time you visit the library. You can also send an email message to us at and we will add your email to your Library record. 

How do I renew materials?

If you need to keep an item beyond the due date, you can renew it if there are no holds on the item. You may renew items up to 2 times in-person, over the phone by dialing (414) 277-0183 or over the Internet. (

What if an item I've checked out is lost or damaged?

The Library charges non-refundable replacement costs on all lost and damaged items. Click here for a summary of the Refund Policy.

What if I lose my library card?

Please notify the Library immediately if your card is lost or stolen, so we can deactivate it. Remember, you will be responsible for any items/fines/fees that accumulate on your card until the loss or theft is reported. There is $1 charge to replace a lost card. Please also notify the Library if your address, telephone number or e-mail address changes.

I don't live in Milwaukee County, may I get a Library card?

Non-resident Library cards are available for an annual fee to those who live outside Milwaukee County.