Health Department Services

 

Prevention of Burns

burn hand stove

Burns are injuries caused from exposure to fire, heat, or a heat-producing agent. The majority of burn injuries occur in the home, where prevention steps can be taken.

General steps to protect from burns

Cook carefully!
     Cooking is the primary cause of residential
fires.

  • Never leave food unattended on a stove.
  • Keep pot handles turned inward.
  • Keep cooking areas free of towels and other flammable objects.
  • When cooking, wear clothes that fit properly and do not have long, loose-fitting sleeves.

Quit smoking!
     Smoking is the leading cause of fire-related deaths!

  • Never smoke in bed or leave burning cigarettes unattended.
  • Do not empty smoldering ashes into a trash can.
  • Keep ashtrays away from upholstered furniture and curtains.

Use smoke detectors!
     Smoke alarms lower the chance of dying in a house fire by 40-50%.

  • Install smoke alarms on all levels in the home, including basements and attics, and near rooms where people sleep.
  • Use long-life smoke alarms with lithium-powered batteries and hush buttons so you can quiet them without removing the batteries.
  • If long-life alarms are not available, use regular alarms and replace the batteries annually.
  • Test all smoke alarms monthly to be sure they function.

Special tips for households with young children:

  • Don’t leave containers of hot liquids/food on or near the edge of furniture.
  • Don’t carry or eat hot liquids or food while holding a child.
  • Don't leave burning candles within reach of young children.
  • Always test food temperatures before serving.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
  • Keep water heater set at 120-125 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent scalding; test water before placing child in bathtub.
  • Cover unused electrical outlets with safety caps.

For more information:  https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/injury-prevention/burns.htm