Health Department Services

 


What is Lead?
 

Lead is a naturally occurring element found in small amounts in the earth's crust. Lead was mined in Wisconsin. It was used in many products to stabilize things such as paint, varnish, gasoline, plastics, etc. However, lead is toxic to humans and animals. Using lead in products to which children and adults have ready access can cause lead poisoning.
For more information on lead click here: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/lead/prevention.htm


Health Impacts of Lead - Copy

Wisconsin’s children are affected by lead poisoning in greater numbers than many other states (CDC 2015). Lead poisoning causes serious physical and financial harm to the children, their families , and society. Nearly all of Wisconsin’s affected children are exposed to lead hazards in their own homes; yet these exposures can be prevented! The effects of lead exposure can persist throughout a lifetime, and include negative lifelong changes in intellect, behavior,and health. For the latest Report on Childhood Lead Poisoning in Wisconsin: 
https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p01202.pdf



Symptoms_of_lead_poisoning_(raster)

There's no better time to spruce up your home with a renovation project. But was your home built before 1978? If it was built before 1978, then your house has lead base paint which can break down into small particles, disperse, and become accessible to humans and pets. Absorbed lead can accumulate in  the body and cause poisoning.  Fortunately, you can prevent exposure to lead by making sure renovation work on your home is done safely. For lead safe renovation, start your project here: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/lead/index.htm

 

Lead poisoning is 100% preventable. With enough resolve and commitment, it can be eliminated.