Health Department Services


 Controlling Mold and Moisture

 

Tiny mold spores are all around us, both indoor and outdoors. These tiny mold spores travel easily thought the air and begin to grow indoors when moisture is present. A building will never be completely free of mold spores; however, indoor mold growth can be prevented and controlled. With any mold issue, the first recommendation should be to find and fix the moisture source. Since moisture is essential for mold growth, residents should quickly identify and fix any source causing excess moisture indoors. Household problems that can lead to indoor moisture problems include,

 

  • Roof leaks
  • Leaking pipes
  • High indoor humidity
  • Damp basement
  • Condensation due to high humidity
  • Flooding sprinkler system failure
  • Water drainage problems
 Image result for Got mold







Indoor Mold and Health

images (2)

Anyone with questions or concerns about how mold is affecting their health should discuss those concerns with a doctor. Most people do not experience major health effects from mold. For the majority of people, being around mold causes nothing more than itchy eyes, coughing or sneezing. For others, it can have more serious effects like an asthma attack or lung problems. Those who may be more sensitive are children and adults with allergies or asthma, or people with existing respiratory conditions or weakened immune systems.






Mold Prevention Tips for Residents 


 download

Important actions can be taken to prevent indoor mold from becoming a problem.

 

  • Keep indoor spaces well ventilated and dry; air conditioners and dehumidifiers help. 
  • Keep indoor humidity below 50%
  • Clean bathrooms often and keep surfaces dry; running the bathroom ventilation fan during and after showers
  • Promptly fix water leaks
  • Clean up and dry your home fully and quickly (within 24-48 hours) after any flooding event.


Testing and Cleaning Mold

images (1)

 It is not recommended that residents test for mold. If you see or smell mold, there is mold present. Testing is expensive and there are no air standards for indoor measurements. If you believe that you have mold, find the source, fix it and clean the area. To find more information on the recommended cleaning procedure go to:

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/mold/clean.htm


For even more information on mold go to: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/mold/index.htm
https://www.eli.org/buildings/iaq-guide-tenants
https://www.epa.gov/mold
https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/mold/index.html
https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p0/p00631.pdf