Does your home have high radon?
Get more information at http://www.epa.gov/radon
Are radon levels high in your home? Radon is a tasteless, odorless, invisible, radioactive gas found in a majority of homes within the United States. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States and is responsible for an estimated 14,000 preventable deaths per year. Your risk increases if you are a smoker.
Exposure to radon can occur in any kind of building and can be a problem in all types of homes with or without a basement. Radon levels vary from house to house. Just because your neighbor’s house has low levels does not mean yours does. Testing your home is the only way to assure your home is radon safe. It does not matter how long you have lived with radon, reducing the radon levels in your home will reduce your risk of lung cancer.
The Greendale Health Department has radon kits available for sale. The cost is $10.00 per kit which includes the test results. Upon presenting your results to the health department from the radon lab, the $10.00 will be returned to you.
Please call Greendale Health Department (414-423-2110) for your kit. Non-residents can check with their local health departments or kits can be purchased through the mail, at hardware stores and other retail outlets.