Village Adopts Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan
On December 19, 2023, the Village Board of Trustees adopted a Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (CORP), a first-of-its-kind for the Village of Greendale. The plan provides a full inventory of Village- and School District-owned park and recreation assets. The planning process involved gathering public input through a variety of methods and using the input to develop recommendations for future park and recreation improvements.
The CORP was prepared by Vandewalle & Associates over an eight-month period as part of a joint Recreational Facilities Study undertaken by both the Village of Greendale and the Greendale School District. The plan was prepared in accordance with guidelines that will make it certifiable by the State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WisDNR) and qualify the Village for matching grant funds through various state and federal programs.
The Village of Greendale and Greendale Schools collaborated to gather public input and develop recommendations for future park and recreation improvements in the community. The project resulted in the creation of both a School District Athletic/Recreational Facilities Study as well as a Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (CORP). The studies were conducted by Vandewalle and Associates (Urban Planning) and Groth Design Group (Architects and Designers). This webpage contains information about this process, including background information, project timeline, and important updates.
Input has been collected through a variety of methods listed below. To review information that was collected, see the links in the Project Downloads section further below.
- Community Engagement Session – Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 6 p.m. in the Greendale High School cafeteria. Attendees provided feedback on what the community's needs are and ideas for improvement.
- Park & Recreation Survey – Community members were asked to respond to a survey regarding current park and recreation facility uses and preferences for future amenities and improvements. The survey was online and in hard copybetween July 12-August 7, 2023.
- Ad/Hoc Committee - A Park & Recreation Ad Hoc Committee was established by the Greendale Schools Board of Education to engage community members of many ages and experiences to review the current state of our parks and spaces and determine next steps to support programming and community indoor and outdoor recreation needs. The Greendale Schools Ad Hoc Team will report to the School Board this Fall on the following goals:
- Revisit the Park and Recreation Department Mission: The Greendale Park and Recreation Department is to provide comprehensive programs, services, facilities, activities and life-long learning opportunities to enrich the quality of life in the Greendale community.
- Assess the Facility Conditions of Indoor and Outdoor Recreation Spaces in order to support community programming.
- Advise on future programming priorities for the Park and Recreation Department
- Stakeholder Meetings – The project consultants held a series of meetings with specific community groups based on demographics and/or their specific involvement with organized park/recreation activities in the community.
- Open House - The project team presented a draft of the Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation at an Open House on Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 6 p.m. at the Greendale Safety Center, 5911 W. Grange Ave. The Open House was followed by a joint meeting of the Village Board and Greendale School District Board.
- May 2023 – Project Kickoff and Data Gathering
- June 2023 – Site Visits and Stakeholder Meetings
- July 12, 2023 – Community Engagement Session at 6 p.m. in the Greendale High School Cafeteria
- July/August, 2023 – Community Survey
- August/September 2023 – Drafting Plans
- November 28, 2023 – Open House and Joint Village Board and School Board Meeting
- December 2023 – CORP Adopted
- 2024 Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (CORP) | Appendix
- Greendale Recreational Space Study Sample for Open House
- Public Engagement Results Presentation from the Park & Recreation Ad Hoc Committee meeting on September 21, 2023
- Public Engagement Results - Raw Data Responses
- Greendale Parks & Recreation - https://gpr.greendale.k12.wi.us/
- Greendale Park Rentals - https://greendalewi.rja.revize.com/app/bookable-groups/parkrentals
- Wisconsin Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan - https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/fl/PropertyPlanning/Scorp
- Milwaukee County Parks and Open Space Plan - https://www.mkecountyparks.org/park-open-space-plan
- Village of Greendale Comprehensive Plan - https://greendale.org/government/comprehensive_plan/index.php